Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Dare to Discipline


Well, got a friend asking me to list out all the books I have read that have helped me. It's a good thing to do on my blog and share with everyone, but it will take some time, cause I would like to mentioned a bit on how it had helped me instead of just listing them. Will slowly reveal one by one when I revisit them again.

Recently rereading the book The New Dare to Discipline (by James Dobson) since my girl is turning 5. The star chart taught in the book become very useful, and also somewhat helps me to focus the things I want her to do daily.

With the chart hanging on the door, my girl will do her homework, brush her teeth, not fight with the brother, etc, and get her reward by earning stars. She recently got 10 stars and we brought her to watch the movie Ratatouille. In a way, this also taught her later in the real world, things do not just come in easy, and nothing by just a hand out. One have to make an effort, even how small it is.

May be in future, I will get her to earn her own pocket money by helping me fold clothes, cut vege, or wash the car... ;-D

In the book, it also mentioned about children or even baby at certain stage will "challenge" the parents in order to check out who-is-the-boss in the family; and it is important that not to let the kids be the center of the house.


'Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.' ~ Proverbs 22:15